Monday, September 27, 2010

Your New Mushroom Brush, Inspired by Spaghetti



I recently moved and brought a bare minimum of kitchen gadgets to my new apartment. I’m identifying needs as I go along, buying very little in favor of adaptive reuse. I’ll buy some produce at the store and discover I lack the conventional tool to clean/slice/chop/prepare it, so I improvise.

That’s what happened when I suddenly found myself with mushrooms and nary a mushroom brush in sight. As I thought about other similar tools I had around, I considered the fingernail brush in the bathroom and – ick! – immediately dismissed the prospect. Then I saw the answer hanging before my eyes: my gentle Original Spaghetti Scrub.

Presto! It was brilliant. As with Tupperware, the scrub hugs the curves of the mushroom and wiggles under the cap where it meets the stem. All things considered, a perfectly effective mushroom cleaner!

For other, firmer vegetables, you can clean them with Skrub’a scrubbing gloves, which happen to come in a cute kids pumpkin design, just in time for Halloween.

I’m not the only one who has repurposed these products recently:

Flo Fabricant of the New York Times found that Skrub’a gloves are also handy for clams and oysters.

“The Many Uses of a Spaghetti Scrub” on Livegreene.com takes readers on a wildly creative journey from the bathtub to the barbecue to the barber shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment